OLIVET, Mich. - Current Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association player of the week, DaVonte Harris had his game-winning three point jumper rim in and out in the closing seconds as Adrian suffered a tough, 61-59, road loss to Olivet in its Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association opener on Wednesday night.
Score: Olivet 61, Adrian 59
Location: Olivet, Michigan (The Cutler Event Center)
Records: Olivet (5-7, 1-0 MIAA), Adrian (6-6, 0-1 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half: Adrian 36, Olivet 27
• Following Olivet's opening three-point jumper, The Bulldogs went on a 16-3 run to take a double-digit lead, 16-6, with 12:37 left on the clock in the first half.
• The Comets battled back to cut the Adrian lead to four, 29-25, with just 2:09 remaining before the half.
• The Bulldogs built the lead back to nine points, 36-27, as the teams entered the locker rooms for the intermission.
Second Half: Olivet 61, Adrian 59
• Anthony Cannon made layup at the 12:06 mark of the second half to give Adrian its largest lead of the game, 49-38.
• The Comets went on a 10-3 run that lasted 2:56 to bring Olivet within four points of tying the lead, 52-48, with 8:48 left to play.
• With 5:20 remaining in regulation, Eric Ewing hit a three to give the Comets their first lead, 55-54, since the 17:17 mark of the first half.
• Keyon Rainey hit a jumper at 3:40 to give the Bulldogs back a slim lead, 57-56. However, Terry Jordan would hit from behind the arc to give Olivet its third lead of the game, 59-57.
• Justin Webster would hit the final shot for Adrian, a layup, that tied the game at 59 with 2:38 left to play.
• The final two points for the Comets came off free throws as Olivet pulled out the two-point lead, 61-59.
FG: 20-49 (40.8%)
3PT: 5-17 (29.4%)
FT: 14-22 (63.6%)
FG: 20-45 (44.4%)
3PT: 10-22 (45.5%)
FT: 11-18 (61.1%)
• DaVonte Harris had a team-high 27 points. He also hauled in two rebounds, dished two assists and had two steals for the game.
• Justin Webster tallied 12 points, eight rebounds, two assists and one steal.
• Isiah Crofford contributed eight points and seven rebounds.
• Eric Ewing had a game-high 28 points, four rebounds, and three assists.
• Jordan Terry had nine points, Thomas Tsalkitzis and Chris Chrzan each had five.
• R.J. Haas, Terry, and Tsalkitzis led the team in rebounds with four.
• Adrian returns home to face MIAA foe Alma in the Bulldog's conference home opener. The opening tip-off is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.
• Alma comes into the game winning its MIAA opener, 107-63, over Kalamazoo. The Scots are 5-7 in the regular season, 1-0 in MIAA.