ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College men's basketball team lost a close game in the closing seconds to Kalamazoo, 58-57. DaVonte Harris scored a game-high 22 points for the Bulldogs in the losing effort.
Final Score: Kalamazoo 58, Adrian 57
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Kalamazoo (6-11, 2-5), Adrian (7-11, 1-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Half: Adrian 27, Kalamazoo 21
• The score in the first half remained close throughout as neither team was able to pull far ahead of the other.
• Adrian led by eight points with 2:18 left before halftime (the largest lead of the half for either team).
FG: 10-17 (58.8%)
3PT: 3-4 (75.9%)
FT: 4-9 (44.4%)
FG: 8-20 (40.0%)
3PT: 2-4 (50%)
FT: 3-6 (50%)
Second Half: Kalamazoo 58, Adrian 57
• Adrian built a 13-point lead in the opening minutes of the second half, 38-25.
• The Hornets whittled down the Bulldogs lead slowly throughout the period and eventually had only a one-score deficit, 55-52, with 46 seconds remaining.
• Harris hit a clutch fadeaway jumper with 22 seconds remaining that put the Bulldogs up 57-52
• Kalamazoo would turn the ball over on the next possession to give Adrian the ball back with just nine seconds remaining and a five-point lead. However, a technical foul was called on a called Adrian timeout (the Bulldogs had zero timeouts remaining) giving the Hornets one free throw.
• Tanner Blyly made the ensuing free throw to bring Kalamazoo within four points of the lead, 57-53.
• Following an Adrian turnover, Blyly hit a three-point jumper to cut the Adrian lead to one point, 56-57. There was a foul on the Bulldogs called off the ball, giving the Hornets two additional free throws.
• Chase Baysdell hit both free throws for the Hornets to put Kalamazoo in the lead, 58-57, with two seconds remaining.
FG: 18-35 (51.4%)
3PT: 5-7 (71.4%)
FT: 16-29 (55.2%)
FG: 21-46 (45.7%)
3PT: 5-11 (45.5%)
FT: 11-15 (73.3%)
• Harris added two rebounds, one assist and one steal to his 22 points.
• Justin Webster scored 13 points, hauled in nine rebounds and had one assist.
• Anthony Cannon scored eight points, three rebounds, and two steals.
• Josh Miller was the leading scorer for Kalamazoo with 14 points.
• Jake Whitney and Tanner Blyly each scored 11 points.
• Whitney led the team in rebounds with six.
• The Bulldogs host Olivet College this Saturday, January 28 at 3:00 p.m.