OLIVET, Mich. - The Adrian College men's basketball team suffered an 81-78 defeat at the hands of Olivet on Saturday night after the Comets hit a three with 2.3 seconds remaining in extra time. Justin Webster led the Bulldogs with 21 points and nine rebounds in the losing effort.
Final Score: Olivet 81, Adrian 78 | Final/OT
Location: Olivet, Michigan (Cutler Event Center)
Records: Olivet (14-9, 9-3 MIAA), Adrian (16-7, 8-4 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Bulldogs used an 11-2 run to take a 34-24 lead with less than a minute remaining in the first half. The Comets would cut the lead to just seven points, 34-27 as the teams headed into the locker room for halftime.
Jeremy Kalonji and Webster each tallied 10 points in the first 20 minutes to lead the Bulldogs. Adrian shot 43.3% from the floor and a perfect 6-6 from the free throw line in the first half.
Adrian scored the first four points of the second to rebuild a double-digit lead (38-27). After the teams traded three-point jumpers, the Comets used a 6-0 run to cut the deficit to five points with 15:53 remaining in regulation. The Bulldogs would hold a lead of 12 (50-38) with 12:36 left on the clock.
Olivet cut the lead in half with a 6-0 run before eventually reclaiming the lead (60-59) with a Jalen Adams layup with 4:26 left in the second half. Adrian was able to tie the game with just seconds remaining to force overtime when Sam Colbert hit a jumper from three to tie the score at 67.
With the score tied at 78 with just 15 seconds remaining, Eldridge Mason hit the last second shot from behind the arc to give the Comets the win.
• Kalonji finished with 17 points, four rebounds, three blocks, two steals, and one assist.
• Sam Colbert scored 14 points--12 of which came from behind the three-point line--and had four rebounds.
• Jordan Harris had a team-high seven assists along with 13 points and five rebounds.
• Jalen Adams had a game-high 30 points and 17 rebounds for the Comets.
• Eldridge Mason and Tracy Edmond each scored 18 and 17 points respectively.
• Mason hauled in nine boards while Edmond had 11 assists.
With the loss, the Bulldogs fall into a tie with Trine for the third spot in the conference standings with a 7-5 record; Olivet (9-3) is tied for the top spot with Hope.
Adrian will host Alma on Wednesday, February 14 at 7:30 p.m., ET. The game is the final home game for the Bulldogs and will be senior night.