ADRIAN, Mich. - The Bulldogs used a three-goal first period to earn a 5-1 win over Lake Forest in the Northern Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA) Slaats Cup Finals on Saturday. The win gives Adrian its second consecutive NCHA Slaats Cup title and an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Women's Ice Hockey Championship. Kristin Lewicki (1+1=2) was named the NCHA Tournament MVP following the game.
Final Score: Adrian 5, Lake Forest 1
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Arrington Ice Arena)
Records: Adrian (26-2-0), Lake Forest (21-6-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
First Period: Adrian 3, Lake Forest 0
• Anna Shepherd (0+1=1) blasted a slap shot from the blueline that was deflected passed the Forester goalie by Courtney Tyll (1+0=1) at the 9:52 mark of the period. That goal would be the game-winner following the conclusion of the third period.
• The Bulldogs outshot the Foresters 25-10 in the first period of play.
Second Period: Adrian 3, Lake Forest 1
• Amy Budde (1+0=1) scored the lone goal in the second period to cut the Adrian lead to 3-1. She was assisted on the goal by Sydney Simone (0+1=1) and Kayla Griffith (0+1=1).
• Adrian added 17 shots on goal in the second period for a game total of 42. Lake Forest had seven shots on goal in the period for a game total of 17.
Third Period: Adrian 5, Lake Forest 1
• Krasofsky dished the puck to Lewicki who slipped behind the defense for a one-on-one shot at the goalie and put the puck in the net to bring the Adrian lead back to three goals.
• Smith scored the final goal of the game with less than two minutes remaining to give the game its final tally of 5-1. Kristi Zink (0+1=1) and Tzafaroglou assisted on the goal.
• Adrian had 16 shots on goal in the third for a game total of 58; Lake Forest had seven in the third for a game total of 24.
• The Bulldogs went 3-5 (.600) on the power play while holding the Foresters scoreless on their power play challenges (0-5).
• Tzafaroglou had three points in the game.
• Smith, Lewicki, and Krasofsky added two points.
• Brooke Gibson (W, 13-1-0) saved 23 of the 24 shots she faced in the game.
• Amy Budde scored the only goal for Lake Forest.
• Simone and Griffith each had an assist.
• Goalie Jacqueline Audet made 31 saves off the bench for the Foresters.
NCHA ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
Brooke Lupi (Soph., Dexter, Mich.), Adrian
Kristin Lewicki (Sr., Moundsville, W. Va.), Adrian (MVP)
Kayla Griffith (Jr., Woodbury, Minn.), Lake Forest
Sydney Smith (Sr., Sarnia, Ontario), Adrian
Kelly O'Sullivan (Fr., Alpena, Mich.), Adrian
Brooke Gibson (Sr., Strathroy, Ontario), Adrian
• Adrian now awaits to see who their opponent will be in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The Selection show is scheduled for Monday, March 6 at 10:00 a.m.