ADRIAN, Mich. - Kristin Lewicki scored two goals including the game winner in overtime that gave the Adrian College women's hockey team a 3-2 victory over Gustavus Adolphus and propelled the Bulldogs to the NCAA Division III Women's Ice Hockey Championship Game.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Gustavus Adolphus 2 - Final/OT
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Arrington Ice Arena)
Records: Adrian (28-2-0), Gustavus Adolphus (18-7-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lewicki (2,0) gave the Bulldogs an early 1-0 lead in the opening three minutes of play.
- The Gusties scored the equalizer at the 8:34 mark of the first period when Laura Johnson scored on a 5-on-3.
- Gustavus doubled Adrian in shots in the first period with 14 shots on goal to the Bulldog's seven.
- Sarah Shureb (1,0) put Adrian back on top with a goal with 5:41 left in the second.
- Marina Chapman scored on a Gustie power play with 1:55 left in the period to tie the game for the second time.
- Gustavus had a slight edge in shots for the second period, 18-16.
- Both teams had chances throughout the third period to get the go ahead goal, but the goalies both made spectacular saves to keep the game tied and force overtime.
- The Bulldogs began the overtime period with a 5-on-3 advantage, however, the Gusties penalty kill came up big again as it did all game not allowing the Adrian to score on any of its nine power play opportunities.
- Lewicki scored the game winner with just 6:45 remaining in the overtime period to end the game.
- Lewicki scored twice and Shureb scored once for the Bulldogs. Lewicki went 1-4 in faceoffs and had six shots on goal and +2.
- Schroka was 20-34 in the face off dot for the game.
- Brooke Gibson (W, 15-1-0) had an incredible game, making 40 saves in 72:56 of ice time.
- Chapman and Johnson each scored a goal for the Gusties.
- Erica Power, Tegan Rodriguez, and Katy Fuller each tallied an assist.
- Amanda Dinella (L, 13-4-2) also had a great game, making 52 saves in 73:15 on the ice.
- The Bulldogs will meet the three time defending champion Plattsburgh State tomorrow at 7:00 p.m. for the NCAA DIII Championship.