ADRIAN, Mich. - The Adrian College women's hockey team fell to Plattsburgh State 4-3 in overtime in the NCAA Division III Women's Ice Hockey Championship Game on Saturday night at Arrington Ice Arena. Kaylyn Schroka (0,2) and Brooke Lupi (1,1) led the Bulldogs in scoring for the game.
Finals Score: Plattsburgh State 4, Adrian 3 - FINAL/OT
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Arrington Ice Arena)
Records: Plattsburgh State (28-1-1), Adrian (28-3-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The score remained 0-0 throughout the first period. The Cardinals outshot the Bulldogs 10-4 in the period, but the Adrian defense led by senior goalie Brooke Gibson (L, 15-2-0) kept Plattsburgh off the board.
• The Cardinals struck first in the second period when Melissa Sheeran scored a power-play goal off assists from Kayla Meneghin and Megan Crandell with 2:00 remaining in the second period.
• The Bulldogs registered 15 shots on goal to Plattsburgh's nine as the Cardinals spent much of the second period in the penalty box.
• Plattsburgh would retake the lead after a Courtney Moriarty goal at the 5:23 mark of the third.
• Sarah Shureb (1,0) gave the Bulldogs their first lead of the game, 3-2, scoring a goal (from Schroka) with just 4:52 remaining in the game.
• The Cardinals' Mackenzie Millen was sent to the box at the 18:36 mark of the third period, putting Adrian on the power play for the remainder of the game.
• The Bulldogs attempted to keep the puck on the offensive end and run out the clock, but Plattsburgh was able to shake the puck out of their zone and gain the extra attacker by pulling their goalie with just 30 seconds left to play.
• Nine seconds later Julia Duquette scored a short-handed goal to tie the game at three and force an overtime period.
• The Cardinals edged the Bulldogs in shooting 13-8 for the final period of regulation.
• Adrian started the overtime on the power play, but Plattsburgh was able to kill off the Bulldog advantage.
• Cardinal senior, Erin Brand, scored the game-winning, power-play goal at the 10:34 mark of the overtime period to earn their fourth consecutive NCAA DIII Women's Ice Hockey Championship.
• The Bulldogs finished the game 2-11 (18.2%) on the power play; Plattsburgh was 2-6 (33.3%).
• The Cardinals also won the shot total battle, 43-32.
• Shureb, Mitter, and Lupi were the Adrian goal scorers. Lupi was also 12-26 in the faceoff dot for the game.
• Schroka was 24-31 on the faceoff while registering three shots on goal and two assists.
• Gibson made 39 saves in her 69:37 in net for Adrian.
• Duquette, Moriarty, Sheeran, and Brand scored a goal for the Cardinals.
• Meneghin led the team in faceoffs (9-19).
• Camille Leonard (W, 25-1-0) made 29 saves in 70:20 of ice time.
NCAA DIII WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY CHAMPIONSHIP ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
• The 2017 NCAA DIII Championship All-Tournament Team was announced at the conclusion of the Championship game. The selections were as follows:
- Emily Gustafson, Gustavus Adolphus
- Kristin Lewicki, Adrian
- Sarah Shureb, Adrian
- Camille Leonard, Plattsburgh State
- Melissa Sheeran, Plattsburgh State
- Erin Brand (MVP), Plattsburgh State
SEASON WRAP UP
• The Bulldogs finish the 2016-17 season with a 28-3-0 overall record as the NCAA DIII Women's Hockey runner-up. Adrian was 18-0-0 in conference play this season, winning the regular season and conference tournament championships. The team's unbeaten and untied NCHA record was the first in league history.