FOND DU LAC, Wis. - The Adrian College women's hockey team edged the Sabres 2-1 on the road Friday afternoon. Kortney Diaz scored the game-winning goal in the third period to help the Bulldogs obtain the victory.
Final Score: Adrian 2, Marian 1
Location: Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin
Records: Adrian (18-5-1, 15-1-1 NCHA), Marian (7-17-0, 6-11-0 NCHA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Marian scored a quick goal in the opening two minutes of the game to take a 1-0 lead. The Bulldogs held an 11-3 advantage in shots on goal but failed to put the puck in the net in the first period.
Diaz's goal happened off assists from Kristi Zink and Savannah Veri 6:38 of the final period. The Bulldogs edged the Sabres 11-10 in shots for the third. Adrian finished the game with a 37-16 decision in shots on goal. Both teams were 0-for-2 on the power play.
• Harshman and Diaz each scored a goal for Adrian.
• Zink, Veri, and Daversa tallied an assist.
• Kate Turner (W, 17-5-1) saved 15 of the 16 shots she faced.
• With the win, the Bulldogs hold a three-point lead over St. Scholastica for the top spot in the Northern Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA) standings.
• Adrian will claim its fourth straight Kronschnabel Trophy with a Saints loss to Lake Forest tonight or a win over Marian tomorrow.
• Adrian has already clinched home ice for the opening round of the Slaats Cup Playoffs.
• Alexis Peterson scored the lone goal for Marian in the loss.
• Lindsey Strainis kept the score close by making 35 saves in the game.
These two teams will square up again tomorrow at 3:00 p.m., ET. The game is the final of the regular season.