ADRIAN, MICH. - The Adrian College women's hockey team defeated Marian 3-0 in game two of the NCHA Slaats Cup quarterfinals to advance to the championship game of the Northern Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA) Slaats Cup tournament. Jacqueline White (Royal Oak, Mich.) tallied the game-winner in the second period and also had an assist on the final goal of the game.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Marian 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Arrington Ice Arena)
Records: Adrian (21-5-1, 16-1-1 NCHA), Marian (7-20-0, 6-12-0 NCHA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The game remained scoreless at the end the first period. The Bulldogs tallied 14 shots on goal but failed to put the puck into the net.
The tie was broken by White's goal at 15:35 of the second period. The goal was scored on the power play and was assisted by Kelly O'Sullivan (Inverness, Ill.) and Kristi Zink (Canton, Mich.). Adrian added 16 shots in the second for a two-period total of 30; the Sabres added five shots for a two period total of just nine.
Sophomore Maggie Mitter (Howell, Mich.) pushed the Bulldog lead to two after a goal with 6:02 into the second period. Brianna Buchanan (Livonia, Mich.) assisted on the play. Tory Harshman (Owen Sound, Ontario) doubled the Adrian lead with a power-play goal in the final five minutes of the third period that put the score at 3-0. White and Olivia Fox (Massillon, Ohio) were credited with assists on the play.
The Bulldogs dominated play with 44 shots in the game while holding the Sabres to only 15. Adrian scored twice in four power-play opportunities. Marian failed to score in any of the team's eight man-up opportunities.
• White's two-point showing of one goal and one assist is the seventh time this season that she scored at least two points in a single game. Her goal is a team-leading, fourth game-winning goal of the season.
• Mitter's goal is her fifth of the season and brings her season point total of 18.
• Harshman brings her power-play goal total to eight with her score on the night.
• Kate Turner (Houston, Texas) earned her 20th win of the season (20-5-1) and extended her season shutout total to 11.
• Megan Cook and Hailey Miller each led the Sabres with three shots on goal for the game.
• Paige Johnson won eight of the 17 faceoffs she participated in.
• Lindsey Strainis (L, 6-19-0) made 41 saves in the losing effort.
Due to the new tournament setup, the Bulldogs advance to the finals where they await the winner of the NCHA Slaats Cup semifinals between St. Scholastica and Lake Forest. That game will take place next weekend at Arrington Ice Arena.