GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Adrian College women's volleyball team suffered its second straight Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) loss this weekend after a 3-0 defeat at sixth-ranked Calvin on Saturday. Haley Mellon led the Bulldogs on defense with a match-high 14 digs.
Final Score: Calvin 3, Adrian 0
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan (Van Noord Arena)
Records: Calvin (14-3, 10-0 MIAA), Adrian (4-14, 4-6 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Bulldogs used a strong hitting percentage (.385) to keep the first set close but Calvin would pull out the win, 25-20, to earn the 1-0 lead early.
The final score in the second set was also close, but the Knights defense held the Bulldogs to only nine kills in the set to sneak away with a 25-22 set win and a 2-0 lead.
Calvin's defense continued to play tough, holding Adrian to only eight kills and a .000 team hitting percentage in the third set. The Knights closed out the match with a 25-19 set three decision.
The Bulldogs hit well all match (.148), but could only accumulate 27 kills.
• Jenai White led the Adrian attack with nine kills.
• Alex Tobler helped offensively with six kills. She also tallied a block assist to contribute on defense.
• Liz Susitko had a team-high 16 assists in the match. She was also able to record four kills and 13 digs.
• Mellon added six assists and a service ace to her match-high 14 digs.
• The Knights offense was led by Anna Kamp (14 kills) and Sarah DeVries (12).
• Jenna Lodewyk paced the Calvin attack with 34 assists.
• Keilahna Castillo led the defense with 13 digs.
Adrian will continue its long road trip on Wednesday, October 11 when the team will face Hope at 6:30 p.m., ET.