HOLLAND, Mich. – The Adrian College women's volleyball team beat Kalamazoo in the final game of the MIAA Tournament Preview, to earn a split in the tournament.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Kalamazoo 1 (20-25, 25-11, 25-18, 22-25)
Location: Holland, Mich. (DeVos Fieldhouse)
Records: Adrian 3-4 (0-0 MIAA), Kalamazoo 1-5 (0-0 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Kalamazoo was in control in the first set, jumping out to an early lead that it would not relinquish. The Hornets took the first set, 25-20.
The second set belonged to Adrian, especially late in the set. After an even start, the Bulldogs opened up on Kalamazoo, going on a 12-2 run to win the set, 25-11.
The Black and Gold kept the momentum going in the third set, pulling away late once again, on the way to a 25-18 set victory.
The Hornets came out hot in the fourth set, trying to force a fifth. They jumped out to a big lead early, going up 12-4. The Bulldogs were able to battle back and went on an 8-1 run to take the lead. Adrian didn't look back from that point and won the set 25-22 to win the match.
• Sophomore Liz Susitko set the offense up all game long, providing 29 assists to go with 15 digs. Senior Jessica Bubacz was also active in helping her fellow Bulldogs, finishing with 14 assists and seven digs.
• Sophomore Karlee Techentin led Adrian in digs, making 19 on the day.
• Rachel Girard led the Kalamazoo offense with 13 kills.
• Zoey Ammon and Grace Kraft led the Hornets in assists with 19 and 15, respectively.
• Kalamazoo's defense was led by Maddie Wojcik and Girard, with 24 and 19 digs, respectively.
The Bulldogs travel to Wooster, Ohio next weekend for the Ginny Kilt Classic. They'll face Franciscan and Wooster on Friday, Sep. 14 and Bethany (W.V.) and Marietta on Saturday, Sep. 15.
#GoBulldogs | #BulldogProud | #GoDawgs