ADRIAN, MICH. -- The Adrian College men's volleyball team rallied from a 2-0 deficit to force a decisive game five against the 12th-ranked Lions of Mount St. Joseph on Friday night, however, MSJ would halt the Bulldog rally and sneak away with a 15-9 decision in the fifth and a 3-2 win. Sophomore Noah Marcinkowski (Menifee, Calif.) led Adrian with his third double-double this season as he finished with 19 kills and 10 digs.
Final Score: Mount St. Joseph 3, Adrian 2 (25-17, 25-21, 23-25, 16-25, 15-9)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (Merillat Sports and Fitness Center)
Records: Mount St. Joseph (15-5, 5-0 MCVL), Adrian (5-10, 1-4 MCVL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Lions finished the first set with a 25-17 win after hitting what became the match-high .538. Darien Bradley led MSJ with four kills while teammates Zack Storc, Andrew Chisholm, and Adam Williams each tallied three kills in the first game. The Bulldogs finished game one with a .172 hitting percentage. Marcinkowski tallied five of his match-high 19 kills in game one.
Adrian kept the score close in game two, but MSJ was able to pull out a four-point decision (25-21) to take a 2-0 lead.
Game three belonged to the Bulldogs, as Adrian scored three of the final four points to take the game 25-23 and cut the deficit to one game. The Bulldogs also hit their best in game three, finishing with a .250 hitting percentage.
Adrian built a seven-point lead in the fourth set (17-10) and eventually evened things up with a 25-16 win to force a fifth and final game. Marcinkowski willed the Bulldogs to victory in the game with seven kills in the game.
With the score tied at six in the fifth set, Adrian tallied two points to take an 8-6 lead as the teams swapped sides. The Lions responded with a 4-0 run to take a 10-8 lead, forcing an Adrian timeout. Following the stoppage in play, MSJ rattled off three more points to take a 13-8 lead and forcing the Bulldogs to call their second, and final, timeout.
• Marcinkowski finished the match with a .176 hitting percentage while adding two service aces, and two blocks to his stat line.
• Mike Gold (Fenton, Mich.) recorded nine kills and two digs in the losing effort.
• Joseph Campana (Los Angeles, Calif.) paced the Adrian attack with 42 assists. He also registered three kills, nine digs, and three blocks.
• Current MCVL Offensive Player of the Week, Michael Burkhardt (Whitehall, Pa.) finished with eight kills and five blocks (2 solos, 3 assisted).
• Kevin Curley (Zion, Ill.) also tallied eight kills while also leading the team with 13 digs.
• Libero Kyle Bell (Lake Orion, Mich.) finished with a kill and 10 digs.
• Chisholm, Bradley, and Williams led the Lions with 14, 13, and 12 kills respectively.
• Nathan Herdeman had 57 assists to set the tone offensively.
• Herdeman and Williams also led MSJ with 11 digs.
Adrian will host Wittenberg tomorrow, March 17, at 1:00 p.m., ET, for the team's sixth MCVL match of the season.