GENEVA, Ill. - The fourth-ranked Adrian College women's hockey team scored five times on the power play to cruise past Aurora 10-1 on Friday night. Freshman Savannah Veri tallied the first hat trick of her collegiate career to lead the Bulldogs to the victory.
Final Score: Adrian 10, Aurora 1
Location: Geneva, Illinois
Records: Adrian (8-2-1, 5-1-1 NCHA), Aurora (1-8-0, 1-6-0 NCHA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Kristi Zink (first goal of the season) put the Bulldogs on the board first with a goal at the 7:03 mark of the first period. Assisting on the play was Freya Holferty (third assist) and Olivia Fox (seventh assist).
Brooke Lupi scored the first of five Adrian power-play goals to give the Bulldogs a 2-0 cushion just 10:14 into the opening period. Tory Harshman (8) and Kelly O'Sullivan (9) assisted on the play. Marissa Dunbar cut the Adrian lead in half, scoring on a power play at 13:26 of the period.
The Bulldogs scored all four goals of the second period to increase the lead to 7-1 going into the final 20 minutes. White scored her second goal of the game in the opening two minutes of the second. Maggie Mitter scored a shorthanded goal just over two minutes later (Zink and Lexi Grunden assisted). Rose Krasofsky scored on a power play at 9:26 of the period. Veri scored the first of her three goals to finish off the second period.
Krasofsky struck first in the third period to score her second goal of the night and push the lead to 8-1. Veri lit the lamps for the final two goals of the game. The first goal came at the 13:18 on the power play and the last one was at 16:31.
Adrian paced play throughout the game, outshooting the Spartans 78-6. The Bulldogs were 5-for-7 (0.714) on the power play; Aurora went 1-for-4 (0.250).
• Nine Bulldogs scored two points in the game: Zink (1,1), Mitter (1,1), Schembri (0,2), O'Sullivan (0,2), Lupi (1,1), Fox (0,2), Krasofsky (2,0), White (2,0), and Holferty (0,2).
• Briana Buchanan (0,1) and Lexi Grunden (0,1) each tallied an assist in the game.
• Kate Turner (W, 7-2-1) saved three of the four shots she faced to earn her seventh win of the season.
• Mia Glassco saved both shots she faced in the game in relief.
• Marissa Dubar scored the lone goal for the Spartans.
• Emma Martel and Lexie Martinez each recorded an assist.
• Nicole McKernan and Martinez each had two shots on goal to lead the team in the losing effort.
• Becca Binder (L, 1-7-0) made 68 saves in the game.
The Bulldogs and Spartans will meet tomorrow (Dec. 2) to finish off the weekend series. Opening puck drop is scheduled for 1:00 p.m., ET.