HOLLAND, Mich. – The Adrian College women's lacrosse team dropped its third straight Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) game with an 11-7 loss to Hope College on Saturday, April 6. The Bulldogs were down big at halftime but won the second half, although it wouldn't be enough to take the game.
Final Score: Hope 11, Adrian 7
Location: Holland, Mich. (Van Andel Soccer Stadium)
Records: AC 5-4 (1-3 MIAA), HC 8-2 (3-0 MIAA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Hope quickly took a 4-0 lead in the first half before a free position goal by senior Annie Rice stopped the run and got Adrian on the board. Rice's goal came just 27 seconds after Hope scored its fourth of the game. The Flying Dutch scored four more after that, again halted by a goal by Rice, making it 8-2. Hope would add one more before the half, giving the hosts a seven-point lead at the break.
Ten minutes passed before either team scored again, and it was Adrian opening the scoring after halftime. Freshman Avery Huxter scored the first goal of her career to start a three-goal run for AC. Fellow freshman Olive Stevens scored a minute later to make it 9-4, with both of those goals being assisted on by Rice. The Bulldogs' third goal of the run came just after the halfway mark of the second when freshman Cristin Culbertson found the back of the cage, cutting the deficit to four. The teams traded the final four goals of the game, with each side picking up two, securing the win for Hope. Sophomore Hannah Roegner scored with three minutes left to make it 11-7 but that would be the final goal of the game.
• Rice and Stevens each scored twice and Rice added two assists.
• Senior goaltender Hannah Emerson led the way with four ground balls.
• Stevens and sophomore Gwyneth Carlson had three draw controls each.
• Emerson made seven saves while playing all 60 minutes.
• Rachel Elder, Paige Wilmer, and Carly Pieri each scored three times and Wilmer picked up two assists.
• Juliana Burlet had four draw controls while Madison Micho gained possession on five draw controls.
• Helen Holt made six saves to get her first win of the year.
Adrian returns home for a pair of games next week. Trine comes to town in MIAA play on Wednesday, April 10 at 5 p.m. before the Bulldogs welcome Cleary University on Thursday at 7 p.m.
#GoBulldogs | #EarnIt